I am not too familiar with issues in developing regions nor the culture and lives of the people there. So to me, this is a very interesting topic since I would not assume anything and start from a blank slate.
I have noticed that research proposals in developing regions focus more than just the results and analysis of the studies. This area of study is different in that people are also interested in working their solutions to the society right away.
For example, MILLEE project considers how to increase visibility of the project so that the government and NGOs could adopt the project and provide edutainment to more disadvantaged children in India.
The group in ICT4B project are concerned about the social conditions after the new devices and technologies are in effect. The group would perform socio-economic evaluation and economic impact evaluations to ensure their devices were also available to under-privileged (women/minorities).
I appreciate that HCI is expanding its realm to another unfamiliar territory. I am excited about how much we will learn about underserved communities in our city, and in turn, increase our understanding of the people in developing regions.
No comments:
Post a Comment