Given our short time (5 weeks) to conduct a research, I think contextual inquiry is one of the possible ways to learn about disadvantaged people in our area.
For "HCI Methods" class, my first homework included completing an affinity diagram with group members to set two focus statements/questions for Contextual Inquiry (CI).
From clustering post-its to categories and choosing a participant to do contextual inquiry, to deciding what task the participant should do and what questions to ask, I realized that CI is a carefully constructed process in which interviewer would need to be sensitive about phrasing questions and the way they behave.
I wonder though, to what extent is the data from CI valid assuming that the participant (user) is not 100% honest/comfortable with the interviewer.
Also, since each person has different personality, culture, and background, CI would need to be done on more than one participant. Then when would qualitative information carry more weight than quantitative information?
How much information does the interviewer need to gather to understand the environment of the user and the needs of the user? Can CI be done to inspire universal designs?
No comments:
Post a Comment